Principles of Community
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
- We affirm the inherent dignity and value of every person and strive to maintain a climate for work and learning based on mutual respect and understanding.
- We affirm the right of each person to express thoughts and opinions freely. We encourage open expression within a climate of civility, sensitivity, and mutual respect.
- We affirm the value of human diversity because it enriches our lives and the University. We acknowledge and respect our differences while affirming our common humanity.
- We reject all forms of prejudice and discrimination, including those based on age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, and veteran status. We take individual and collective responsibility for helping to eliminate bias and discrimination and for increasing our own understanding of these issues through education, training, and interaction with others.
- We pledge our collective commitment to these principles in the spirit of the Virginia Tech motto of Ut Prosim (That I May Serve).
September 29, 2014
The "Virginia Tech Principles of Community" were reaffirmed on September 29, 2014 by the following eight individuals/organizations:
- Deborah Petrine, rector, Board of Visitors
- Timothy Sands, president, Virginia Tech
- Bernice Hausman, president, Faculty Senate
- Dan Cook, president, Staff Senate
- Elizabeth Lazor, president, Student Government Association
- Greg Purdy, presidents, Graduate Student Assembly
- Matt Winston Jr., president, Virginia Tech Alumni Association
- Aaron Bond, chair, Commission on Equal Opportunity and Diversity
March 14, 2005
The "Virginia Tech Principles of Community" were first endorsed by the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors on March 14, 2005, by the following eight individuals/organizations:
- Ben J. Davenport Jr., rector, Board of Visitors
- Charles W. Steger, president, Virginia Tech
- W. Samuel Easterling, president, Faculty Senate
- Sue Ellen Crocker, president, Staff Senate,
- Sumeet Bagai, president, Student Government Association,
- Myrna C. Callison and Yvette Quintela, co-presidents, Graduate Student Assembly
- Raymond V. Plaza, chair, Commission on Equal Opportunity and Diversity
- Kimble Reynolds, Virginia Tech Alumni Association